Tuesday, January 25, 2011

(1 - 4 of) 10 places I want to see before I die:

The title of this blog really says it all. This is the first post in a series about places I'm throwing in my bucket list. Take time to read and maybe you can come along and help me carry my camera gear...

Antarctica:


This may seem like a strange and lonely land to want to visit but that’s precisely the allure. The people who can claim they’ve walked on the icy flats of Antarctica are members of an exclusive club. It’s unarguably the most alien land mass on Earth and the creatures that survive there are some of the toughest and most savage. I’ve always enjoyed photographs of this continent and having the opportunity to capture a few of my own would be a highlight in my book. Sure it’s the coldest desert on the planet with temperatures reaching -130 degrees Fahrenheit, winds gusting up to 200 mph and more than 99% of its landmass covered in ice. But membership into one of the world’s most exclusive clubs is not without its share of sacrifices (think frostbite) and a picture is worth a thousand words. Antarctica could fill encyclopedias.

Istanbul:


Formerly Constantinople, formerly Byzantium, currently the 5th largest city in the world with a population of 12.8 million. This great city has served as capitol to the Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire, Latin Empire and Ottoman Empire. Well, you get the idea and I would love to get the pictures. I’ve been fascinated with this city since I read the book, “1453” about the fall of Constantinople from Constantine XI to Mehmed II. (Great book if you are interested in history) Anyways, this city’s history is as rich as it comes and its glory days boasted architectural wonders that shamed Rome. Also, because the muslims didn’t get a kick out of the whole burning and pillaging scene many of the buildings survived the transition from Christian to Islamic cultures. Most of the Christian murals and statues were destroyed and much of the architecture had Ottoman spires added but the previous culture survived with new equally compelling layers added. So this landscape of cultural jewels most assuredly makes my list.


The Nile:


This particular destination is an unusual request because the “place” is not confined to a city, country, or cultural cluster. The Nile is 4,132 miles long and 5 miles wide at its furthest spread. The river flows North  passing through Uganda, Sudan, Ethiopia and Egypt to the Mediterranean Sea. The river’s two grandest tributaries are the Blue Nile from Ethiopia and the White NIle from Uganda/Kenya which join in Khartoum—which also happens to be the setting of the semi-historical movie of the same name staring Laurence Olivier and Charlton Heston. The Nile’s riverbanks are the breeding ground to many cultures and populations, most notably the Egyptian Empire. However, it is not merely the pyramids of the ancient pharaohs I wish to see but the fertile banks of the Nile and the other indigenous populations, man and animal. Things to invest in beforehand: a kayak and telephoto lens.


Machu Picchu, Peru


This pre-Columbian Incan site is located 7,970 feet above sea level on a mountain ridge above the Urubamba Valley in Peru, 50 miles northwest of Cusco. (llama, llama, llama) The settlement began in 1400 AD and was relatively unknown to the Spanish Conquistadors, thus preserving its Incan culture. The settlement was abandoned in 1572 and it's speculated that most of its inhabitants died from smallpox introduced by the Spaniards in surrounding areas. From my research on the local climate it has two seasons: wet and dry. The summer months reach temperatures in the low 80s while the winter months plummet to a wet and mild 50 degrees. A little more bearable than Antarctica I suppose. My words on WHY I want to visit this site are limited because... well you saw the picture right? Who wouldn’t want to fill up a few memory cards with that mountain range, add some fascinating history about an ancient culture and you’ve just spotted a great photo-taking opportunity.

3 comments:

  1. Did you know my father, 'Pop', has been to Antarctica?! He went in the late 1940's with Admiral Byrd when he joined the Navy right out of high school. Not too many had visited that continent then! Google 'Operation Highjump' to read about the expedition. If you ever want to talk to him about it I'm sure he & Granny would love to see you...maybe even play some Oh Fooey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's awesome! I would love to talk to him about it. And you're right in the 1940's VERY few people had been to Antarctica. They do cruises there now, but I don't think they stay ashore any. I would like to go with maybe a research team or something and spend a little time.

    And I would love to see Granny and play Oh Fooey too. I'll have to swing by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm know I'm like...3 years late on this, but my God I'd love to see Macchu Picchu. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete