Saturday, January 29, 2011

(#5) of 10 places I want to see before I die.

The Redwood Forest.


This destination is possibly the most easily obtained that I've mentioned this far. I was hoping to see it this year, but there is so much uncertainty for me right now because I graduate in May that I decided to not plan a big trip. I have a friend who will go with me and I hope to draft a few more and go camping in the forest. I don't want to just get a nearby hotel and drive in and drive past the trees. I want to take a pack and a hike through them, spend a week around them. I want to experience the forest. So that's the plan. It's of course easy to see the draw to this place. The trees dwarf  any person and the landscape is green and beautiful. The National Redwood Forest is in California along the coast. Coastal Redwoods are the tallest species on earth often reaching 200 and 300 feet tall, with the tallest standing a proud 379 feet. (Hyperion) Often the bark alone is a foot thick. So this will hopefully be on my "been to" list in the not-so-distant future. Let me know if your up for some camping and I'll keep you informed on the travel plans. Prepare for some serious walking though.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent some time there on my way back from Montana. It is amazing and very awe inspiring. You will feel tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel tiny just thinking about a 300' tree. I can't wait to see them in person.

    ReplyDelete